This video looks at both positive and negative effects of marijuana on the body. It presents an overview on how marijuana exerts its effects, its medical uses and potential drawbacks and negative effects from long-term use.
This video was made by 4DM3 students Emma Hudson, Patricia Kitala, Manveer Singh, Shahriar Ameri.
Copyright McMaster University 2017
Please let us know below how you liked this video and suggest additional topics for us to attempt to demystify.
1. S. AP. A. Cannabis and mortality among young men: A longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. 1990;18(1):9-15.
2. Sidney S, Beck J, Tekawa I, Queensberry C, Friedman G. Marijuana use and mortality. American Journal of Public Health. 2017;87(4):585-590.
3. Melamede R. Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic. Harm Reduction Journal. 2017;2(21).
4. Pletcher M, Vittinghoff E, Kalhan R, Richman J, Safford M, Sidney S et al. Association Between Marijuana Exposure and Pulmonary Function Over 20 Years. JAMA. 2012;307(2):173.
5. Gilman J, Kuster J, Lee S, Lee M, Kim B, Makris N et al. Cannabis Use Is Quantitatively Associated with Nucleus Accumbens and Amygdala Abnormalities in Young Adult Recreational Users. Journal of Neuroscience. 2014;34(16):5529-5538.
6. Castellanos-Ryan N, Pingault J, Parent S, Vitaro F, Tremblay R, Séguin J. Adolescent cannabis use, change in neurocognitive function, and high-school graduation: A longitudinal study from early adolescence to young adulthood. Development and Psychopathology. 2016;:1-14.
7. Smith M, Cobia D, Wang L, Alpert K, Cronenwett W, Goldman M et al. Cannabis-Related Working Memory Deficits and Associated Subcortical Morphological Differences in Healthy Individuals and Schizophrenia Subjects. Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2013;40(2):287-299.