Dr Jones answers most of the common questions about using medical marijuana to prevent and treat cancer in our dogs and cats. He shows you published studies, what appears to be working, exact doses for your pets.
Cannabis and Cannabinoids (PDQ®)–Health Professional Version: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq
1. Elsohly M. Marijuana and the Cannabinoids. Totowa: Humana Press; 2007.
2. Friedman D, Sirven JI. Historical perspective on the medical use of cannabis for epilepsy: ancient times to the 1980s. Epilepsy Behav. 2017;70(Pt B):298–301. [PubMed]
3. Russo EB. Cannabis and epilepsy: an ancient treatment returns to the fore. Epilepsy Behav. 2017;70(Pt B):292–7. [PubMed]
4. Russo EB, Jiang HE, Li X, et al. Phytochemical and genetic analyses of ancient cannabis from Central Asia. J Exp Bot. 2008;59:4171–82. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
5. O’Shaughnessy WB. On the preparations of the Indian hemp, or Gunjah: Cannabis indica their effects on the animal system in health, and their utility in the treatment of tetanus and other convulsive diseases. Prov Med J Retrosp Med Sci. 1843;5:363–9.
10. Hofmann ME, Frazier CJ. Marijuana, endocannabinoids, and epilepsy: potential and challenges for improved therapeutic intervention. Exp Neurol. 2013;244:43–50. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
11. Mechoulam R, Parker LA. The endocannabinoid system and the brain. Annu Rev Psychol. 2013;64:21–47. [PubMed]
12. Rosenberg EC, Tsien RW, Whalley BJ, Devinsky O. Cannabinoids and epilepsy. Neurotherapeutics. 2015;12:747–68. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
22. Benbadis SR, Sanchez-Ramos J, Bozorg A, et al. Medical marijuana in neurology. Expert Rev Neurother. 2014;14:1453–65. [PubMed]
23. Detyniecki K, Hirsch L. Marijuana use in epilepsy: the myth and the reality. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2015;15:65–70. [PubMed]
24. Friedman D, Devinsky O. Cannabinoids in the treatment of epilepsy. N Engl J Med. 2015;373:1048–58. [PubMed]
25. Bisogno T, Hanus L, De Petrocellis L, et al. Molecular targets for cannabidiol and its synthetic analogues: effect on vanilloid VR1 receptors and on the cellular uptake and enzymatic hydrolysis of anandamide. Br J Pharmacol. 2001;134:845–52. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
30. Iannotti FA, Hill CL, Leo A, et al. Nonpsychotropic plant cannabinoids, cannabidivarin (CBDV) and cannabidiol (CBD), activate and desensitize transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1) channels in vitro: potential for the treatment of neuronal hyperexcitability. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2014;5:1131–41.[PubMed]
31. Ibeas Bih C, Chen T, Nunn AV, et al. Molecular targets of cannabidiol in neurological disorders. Neurotherapeutics. 2015;12:699–730. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
32. McPartland JM, Duncan M, Di Marzo V, Pertwee RG. Are cannabidiol and Δ(9) -tetrahydrocannabivarin negative modulators of the endocannabinoid system? A systematic review. Br J Pharmacol. 2015;172:737–53. [PMC free article] [PubMed]